HIGHER THINKING BLOG
Watching the Road Signs
Matthew 11:28-30, THE MESSAGE
Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion?
Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you.
Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.
Peter Greer, president of Hope International wrote the book, The Spiritual Danger of Doing Good (Bethany House 2013). In it he illustrates how something that starts off with the noblest of intentions can get off track and then reveals throughout the book how to get it back on track again. He points us to road signs that help us see when we are in the wrong rut.
As you take some time off this Labor Day, it might be good to consider Greer’s self-evaluation and ask God to show you where you are in relation to what he intended for you.
The Road Signs
- Have you forgotten why you are serving?
- Is your focus on what you are doing instead of who you are becoming?
- Is your pursuit of recognition overshadowing your pursuit to grow closer to Christ?
- If your ministry is growing, do you feel like it must be because of something you are doing right?
- Are you relying on your own strength, creativity, performance, gifts and talents instead of relying on God and his power?
- What’s the quality of your relationship with your family and friends – the ones who can best tell if you are drifting from where you’ve been called to be?
The Savior is beckoning you to take a rest, a real rest with him. Follow him and return to the unforced rhythm of grace.
Blessings on your Labor Day Holiday
From the staff at Christian Leadership Alliance.
What is Christian Leadership Alliance?
Christian Leadership Alliance equips and unites leaders to transform the world for Christ. We are the leaders of Christ-centered organizations who are dedicated to faithful stewardship for greater kingdom impact.