Faithfulness by Mark L. Vincent
Faithfulness is one of the foundations for an effective resource raising program.
Faithfulness is foundational. I’ve often summarized the faithful life of the steward as Generous God, Generous Life. On more than one occasion, when speaking on the subject, I’ve created a picture of how this is lived by kneeling with raised arms.
This posture of the steward leader–whether personally or organizationally assumed–is a posture of:
- Giving and Receiving. In front of God which one it is becomes indistinguishable. In this posture I can receive from God and I can share from what is currently in my possession.
- Supplication. From here I plead my case to God. I no longer make demands.
- Penitence. I know I am flawed. I am well aware of the shadows of my life. My sin is ever before me. So is the great grace of God.
- Submission. There is an authority higher than me.
- Humility. Here my world view takes shape. I admit I do not possess unlimited knowledge. I know I cannot control everything. I am in need of assistance.
- Worship. This is more than generosity to God who is generous to me. I am offering my self–past, present and future to the one who made me.
- Covenant. Kneeling before God is one-half of a covenantal embrace. God has been standing in this circle from all time, arms outstretched, waiting for me to enter this embrace. From here I know what it means when God says, “Obey my voice and I will be your God and you shall be my people. And walk in all the ways I have commanded you that it may be well with you.” ~Jeremiah 7:23
- Freedom. Here I have laid my burdens down. I am no longer shackled to them.
Beyond these facets by which we better understand the kneeling posture, we are learning that the steward leader leads from this posture. It is from here they invite others to support mission. From here they assume responsibility for the organization that invites them to serve. And from here they bear witness of God’s great grace to the world. From their knees.
What is Christian Leadership Alliance?
Christian Leadership Alliance equips and unites leaders to transform the world for Christ. We are the leaders of Christ-centered organizations who are dedicated to faithful stewardship for greater kingdom impact.